Mahindra has opened a new test base for SUVs in Tamil Nadu, India, the Mahindra SUV Proving Track (MSPT). The facility is said to be one of the largest and most comprehensive OEM automotive testing facilities in the country. It was constructed over a period of three years, with an investment of US$68.5m (Rs.510 crore), and stands on a 454-acre site within the Cheyyar SIPCOT Industrial Area.
Designed by Idiada, the new track is situated 55km from the Mahindra Research Valley where the company’s SUVs are developed, meaning engineers will be able to travel smoothly to the site to test and homologate new vehicles. In addition to the test track, the MSPT will be home to a 4×4 Center of Excellence.
“The brand-new proving track compliments and completes MRV where our products are conceived,” commented R. Veluswamy, chief of global product development. “It is a dream come true for everyone involved in the product development process within Mahindra. It’s a driver’s paradise designed to shape powerful and desirable machines.”
MSPT – Fast facts
- The MSPT has 20 purpose-built, fully operational tracks.
- These include a 0% sloped, high-speed test track with a 43.7° parabolic banking for higher neutral speed testing.
- A straight 2km, 11m-wide road with 0% longitudinal slope enables performance and coast down measurements.
- A circular dynamic platform 250m in diameter enabling vehicle dynamics development and evaluation.
- A braking pad with six different surfaces, and dry and wet tracks enable analysis of braking, ABS, ESP and TCS.
- The MSPT also includes a general highway durability track and a simulated city track.
- An accelerated test track offers every imaginable rough road surface including potholes, undulations, Belgian pavement, cobble stones, rumblers, with various wash board and speed breakers factored in.
- Facilities for simulating rain, water wading and splashing are available. Dust storms can be simulated in a chamber.
- MSPT also houses a full vehicle corrosion test facility with humidity chamber.
- A 4X4 adventure track has over 25 obstacles for testing 4X4 and AWD vehicles.
- Exclusive prototype workshops, a health center and an administration tower that can house over 200 engineers are available.
- MSPT also has its own fuel station.